23 July 2005

Network Marketing Today:
How About Something Different (Repost)

Note: The post first appeared one year ago today on a different blog that I author. I chose to repost as I was clearing some old papers in my office and found my notes I used to compose it. Given my current mode of thinking, evaluating my approach to my business, and the distance traveled since the original post, I thought I'd share it again. I hope you enjoy it.


There are millions of people in the home-based business, network marketing industry today and the trend certainly suggests that many millions more will likely find themselves joining at least 3 at some time during their lifetime. Although this can be reassuring to the fledgling network marketer, there are some basic questions that come to mind.

What are people really looking for when they decide to embark on their own home-based networking business?
This is an important question you should seek to answer. Understand one thing, you cannot answer it for the person you are trying to recruit. You must learn this answer from them. You will need to develop the skills to hear what their real reasons are for considering leaving their comfort zone.

Why do so many people quit a home-based business so quickly or so often?
There are so many variables to consider when answering this question. Here are some things that may be contributing factors.

  • Not making money soon enough
  • Negative responses from "warm list" contacts
  • Vanishing upline
  • High priced training programs
  • Over-priced products and/or services that are difficult to market
  • Pressured into joining through hype or hard selling techniques
  • Failed to make personal connection to others in the business
  • Pressured by upline to meet unrealistic quota
  • Unrealistic expectations of prosperity
  • Never taught the "how-to" aspect of business building
  • Unable to contact corporate support and leadership
  • Alienation through "title-based" achievement system
  • (you fill in the blank)

I am sure that you could come up with several other reasons based on your experience. Here are several questions I had to ask myself when I faced a crossroad in deciding to leave my old business. If you find yourself at the fork in the road about continuing your present business or venturing into a different business, consider my questions.

  • Do you feel that you are having to hype your business in order to get peoples attention?
  • Do you feel you can honestly present your company without hype?
  • Does your current business employ a hard sell technique?
  • Does your business promote an ongoing education program that is affordable?
  • How about a home-based business that lets you actually spend time at home while building it?
  • Do you feel your success comes at the expense of another person's effort?
  • Do you feel your upline is profiting more on your effort than you are?
  • How often do you find yourself having to sell your product or service at cost to gain a sale?
  • Does your business encourage the concept of "delayed gratification"?
  • What is the quality of your personal relationships with people outside the business?

There are always alternatives and choices you can make to change your situation. If you find that you are not satisfied with representing a business that compromises your personal values, I suggest you seek the ones that don't. There are thousands of companies in the market. I assure you that, if you seek it, you will find one that best suits your needs. It took me more than 5 years of personal and financial frustration before I found a company worthy of my highest personal values. I sincerely believe that you can do the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home