26 September 2005

Role Models and Mentors (repost)

Throughout our lives we all have people we look up to for guidance and inspiration. As a child we probably had role models that may have included sports figures, rock stars, and most certainly our parents. As we grew and entered the working world there were no doubt older, experienced co-workers that may have helped us learn specific talents for the job we were performing.


"... mentoring occurs from various sources and that largely depends on the openness and accessibility to the leadership
at the top of your organization."

In the MLM world, most organizations encourage new recruits to seek a mentor from within the business to assist with learning the ropes. Most often there is an expectation that your personal sponsor would serve as your mentor. Occasionally, that person may not have the background or experience. Perhaps you would then seek guidance from further up the line of sponsorship until you were able to find someone with the knowledge to help you. This sounds reasonable, doesn't it?


I am certain that most organization offer some sort of supplemental or advanced training from within their own business. I am also certain that some organization will ostracize members that seek counsel outside the established line of sponsorship. Now I ask again, does that sounds reasonable or even practical?

In my current business I am very fortunate to have a great mentor as my personal sponsor. All too often, I believe this is not the case for many people.
I believe that in MLM, mentoring occurs from various sources and that largely depends on the openness and accessibility to the leadership at the top of your organization. Do they encourage using mastermind groups with associates outside your LOS? Are the leaders at the top available to receive phone calls from you with questions?


When most people think of the word mentor, they most often imagine a close personal relationship spanning many years. In business, these relationships are rare. As a result, most networkers take their mentoring a variety of sources. As an adult, I should be able to seek the knowledge I require from whatever source I can without being penalized by the very people that will receive benefit by my improved knowledge.

By the way, my mother and father continue to be my most cherished role models.

This post was originally written on June 13, 2004 and appeared on my blog, MLM Today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home